A former Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee in the Eastern District of North Carolina and member of the Local Rules Committee for the Eastern District of North Carolina Bankruptcy Court, Ms. Staton has developed expertise in all areas of bankruptcy through years of practice in both the United States Trustee and Bankruptcy Administrator systems. Her cases have involved, among other things, representing trustees, creditors, and other interested parties in bankruptcy litigation such as objections to discharge, lien avoidance and preferential transfer actions; repossessions; collections; federal and state lender liability defense; bankruptcy appellate brief preparation and oral arguments before US District Courts; and brief preparation before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
A leader in legal education, Ms. Staton has served as a course planner and faculty member for many continuing legal education programs of the North Carolina Bar Association, Coastal Bankruptcy Law Institute, National Business Institute, and many other continuing legal education providers. Ms. Staton has also been an Adjunct Professor at Meredith College in Raleigh, North Carolina, and an Assistant Dean at the Campbell University School of Law.
- Admitted to practice in Georgia
- Admitted to practice in North Carolina
- The University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.
- Peace College, AA, With Honors
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Former Officer, Bankruptcy Section, North Carolina State Bar Association
- Former Editor, Bankruptcy Section Newsletter, North Carolina State Bar Association
- Former Member, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Former Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Author and Co-Facilitator with the Honorable James P. Smith, Recent Local Decisions, Southern District of Georgia, Coastal Bankruptcy Law Institute, 2018
- Author and Co-Facilitator with the Honorable Austin Carter, Recent Local Decisions, Southern District of Georgia, Coastal Bankruptcy Law Institute, 2017
- Speaker, Bankruptcy Presentation to Tax Commissioners, Constitutional Officers Association of Georgia Fall Conference, 2016
- Author and Co-Facilitator with the Honorable Austin Carter, Recent Local Decisions, Southern District of Georgia, Coastal Bankruptcy Law Institute, 2015
- Author, Representing The Chapter 7 Debtor: Scope of Representation and Requirements for Withdrawal, Coastal Bankruptcy Law Institute, 2014
- Author and Presenter, Insurance and Section 541 of the Bankruptcy Code: A Matter of Interest for the Chapter 7 Trustee, 27th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, NC Bar Association, 2004
- Ethics and the Bankruptcy Lawyer: Avoiding Conflicts of Interest, Eastern Bankruptcy Institute, 1998
- Lien Avoidance in the Aftermath of Cen-Pen Corp. v. Hanson, Published in Vol. 19, No. 3 April 1998 edition of the Disclosure Statement, Newsletter of the NC Bar Association’s Bankruptcy Section
- Co-author, Consumer Bankruptcy Valuation Issues, 19th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, NC Bar Association, 1996
- Repossession of Personal Property – Prebankruptcy, National Business Institute seminar North Carolina Foreclosure and Repossession, 1995
- Applying the Rules of Professional Conduct, National Business Institute seminar North Carolina Foreclosure and Repossession, 1995
- Getting the Creditor Its Due: A Paralegal’s Guide to Consumer Bankruptcy, CISI Paralegal Practice Series, NC Bankruptcy Practice for Paralegals, 1994
- A Subject of Interest: Bankruptcy Code Section 506 and Present Value, Eastern Bankruptcy Institute, 1993