Tuwanda has an expansive amount of legal experience with formidable knowledge of over twenty-five areas of the law. Prior to joining TOKN, her practice was concentrated in section 1983 civil rights and constitutional law and litigation, state law claims of assault, battery, unlawful arrest, false imprisonment, and malicious prosecution, tax appeals, eminent domain, public procurement and contract disputes, personal injury, property damage, and elections law.
Prior to her employment with the Gwinnett County Department of Law, Tuwanda was employed with the City of Atlanta Law Department, where she practiced section 1983 civil rights litigation, employment litigation, contract and procurement litigation, personal injury litigation, property damage litigation, and workers’ compensation defense. Tuwanda’s experience also includes four years in private practice in the areas of personal injury litigation, workers’ compensation employer and insurance defense, domestic relations, misdemeanor criminal defense, simple wills, and landlord-tenant law.
- Admitted to practice in Georgia
- Georgia Association for Women Lawyers President’s Award and Spotlight Award and the Gwinnett Chapter’s Phoenix Award
- Gwinnett County Bar Association Past President’s Award and Law Day Award
- State Bar of Georgia’s Law Day Award
- The Family Gwinnett’s Trailblazer Award
- State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law, J.D.
- Syracuse University, B.A. Political Science
- “Purchasing Issues”, Presenter, March 2013 Metro Atlanta City & County Attorneys Continuing Legal Education Seminar
- Community Involvement
- Friendship Baptist Church, Duluth, Georgia
- Leadership Gwinnett Alumni Association
- Gwinnett County Bar Association
- Georgia Association for Women Lawyers
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Gwinnett Giving Girls, Affiliated with the Community Foundation of Northeast Georgia
- Gwinnett County Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated